Advantages of LVDT are-
1. High range: the LVDT has a very high range for displacement measurement. This can be used to measure the displacement from 1.25 mm to 250 mm.
2. There is no physical contact between the mobile core and the coil structure, which means that the LVDT is a frictionless device.
3. High input and high sensitivity: the LVDT provides a high input and many times it is not necessary to amplify.
4. LVDT has low hysteresis and, therefore, the repeatability is excellent.
5. The fact that LVDT is a transformer means that there is complete isolation between the excitation voltage given to the primary winding and the output produced by the secondary windings. This makes the LVDT an effective analogue computing element without the need for protection amplifiers.
Disadvantages of LVDT
1. They are sensitive to a stray magnetic field.
2. Many times the performance of the transducer is affected by vibrations.
3. The temperature affects the performance of the transducer.